How to Communicate with the Board or Individual Trustees
The Board welcomes and values input from students, parents, staff and members of the community regarding Board policies, practices, related issues and its overall education system.
There are established methods in place to assist with effective communication:
- Students are encouraged to approach their Student Trustee.
- Parents are encouraged to work through School Councils who share concerns with the Board through Greater Essex County Parent Involvement Committee.
- Staff should refer to the formal communication protocol where appropriate or contact the Director’s Office for further direction.
- Members of the community should contact the appropriate Trustee representing their constituency.
For contact information please refer to the board website.
Formal communication to the Board must fall within the established protocols provided below. In all circumstances when addressing the Board or an individual Trustee, statements and materials must be free of content which is contrary to the Ontario Human Rights Code and other laws of Ontario and Canada. While in attendance at a Board meeting or Standing Committee meeting behaviour must be courteous and respectful at all times. All comments must be addressed to the Chair.
During Presentations, Delegations or Speakers, Trustees may not put forward motions, enter into any debate or discussion on the matter. However they may ask questions for clarification and the question period will be limited to five minutes for each speaker. Once all questions have been put or the time limit has been reached, the Chair shall thank the speaker on behalf of the Trustees.
After each speaker, the Chair may:
- acknowledge receipt as information;
- refer the matter to the Director of Education for subsequent review and comment and/or appropriate action; or
- refer the matter to a Standing Committee for review and a report.
The Board by majority vote may limit the number of delegations and speakers. A copy of “Guidelines for Speaking to the Board” will be provided prior to the meeting.