GRADE 8 STUDENTS
Grade 8 to Grade 9
Out of district application procedures for
Public Secondary Schools
The Greater Essex County District School Board announces out of district procedures for all current grade 8 students of Public Schools, Catholic Schools and Private Schools who wish to attend a public secondary school outside their designated residential attendance area for the school year beginning September, 2016.
The following conditions must be observed:
1. Application forms for the out of district procedures are available for Public elementary school students in the students’ present school and are to be returned to the principal’s office. Forms for students from Catholic and private schools are available in the secondary school which serves the student’s residence and are to be returned to the principal’s office of the requested secondary school.
2. Applications must be returned during the following times –
Monday, January 4th to Friday, January 15th, 2016
Applications made after this date shall not be accepted.
3. Although the general policy of the board is to allow out of district transfers, some restrictions may apply to preserve the quality of educational programs at all schools. In addition, restrictions will be in place based on the enrolment capacity of individual schools.
4. Public Elementary school students who are interested in attending Westview Freedom Academy (AB - Adaptive Basic) or Western Secondary School do not apply through this process. Students and parents are to contact their elementary school principal to make arrangements for further information.
5. This procedure does not apply to students entering into the STEPS program.
6. Transportation will not be provided except in special circumstances as outlined in Board policy.
Grade 8 students and their parents should check with their elementary school principal for details.
7. For Grade 8 students currently enrolled in Bellewood or Giles Campus Elementary schools, the out of district policy applies if they wish to attend a secondary school other than Sandwich S.S.
8. For Grade 8 students currently enrolled in McCallum, the out of district policy applies if they wish to attend a secondary school other than Herman S.S.
9. Boundaries are closed for Massey S.S. except for students who have been accepted in two or more of the four enriched courses at Massey. Students accepted into the Enriched Program are not required to submit an out of district application. A Bellewood or Giles Campus student who lives in the Massey area and who chooses not to attend the home school which is Sandwich S.S. may apply to Massey as an out of district student. A Giles Campus student who lives in the Herman area may apply to Herman as an out of district student.
10. Boundaries are closed for Tecumseh Vista Academy.
Vicki Houston, Superintendent of Secondary School Staffing